Went to Memphis again this past weekend with KMHD & Brittany. We didn't have a plan other than eat & loiter. It was lovely! I did not return home miserable, broken & worn out, but at ease & better for it. Ready for this? When we rolled into town, we got had our lunch at Gus's. As per usual, we had to wait in line, about 30 minutes. Thankfully, we had a properly-loaded jukebox to help us along.
Brittany:

Yusssss...


Ran into Rebekah & Keiko! It's always neat to run into friends in other cities.

After some responsible window-shopping (I mean, we shopped, but only for the necessities), we checked into our hotel and went swimming.

The sun completely drained us of energy, so we went to the juice bar for shots of wheatgrass (really) and juices. I considered it an act of penance for all of our indulgent consumption. We then returned to our room and prepared for an evening out. After getting gussied up, we drove to RP Tracks for BBQ tofu sandwiches & BBQ tofu nachos. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but we totally overindulged. I had a will to go out to have drinks and have a bitchin' good time, but I. ate. too. much. After having searched high and low for the perfect bar for years, we discover the Lamplighter Lounge and are too full to even enjoy the one beer we ordered. It's a true locals-only dive with an attentive barkeeper & a relaxed atmosphere. I was grateful that there was no loud music blaring, so you could have conversations or eavesdrop on others. There was the smell of greasy (and forbidden) burgers and stale cigarette smoke hanging heavy in the air. Great lighting. Cheap drinks. Just perfect. We vowed to return and do it properly, but all I could think about was going to our room to have a lay down, engage in girl-talk, and watch the telly. Ridiculous. I hang my head in shame.
Photo by Brittany:

Photo by Brittany:

Brittany & KMHD:

Me, photo by KMHD:

The next morning, we woke up early (because we are DAYHAWKS!!!) and, unbelievably, got stuffed at Brother Juniper's, the best breakfast spot in Memphis. We ate, but didn't overdo it this time. If you've no self-control, pour salt all over your food and drop your flatware on the floor, and voila! You're done. Of course, carbo-loading leads to more in-room lounging.

We slowly packed our things and hit the streets. And, for the umpteenth time, because I always have someone in tow who hasn't been yet, we payed respects to Jay Reatard.
Photo by KMHD:


Finally, we took the poor man's tour of Graceland and STAX Records. All that means is that we didn't pay the exorbitant admission fees.
Graceland:








Around the corner from STAX. Memphis has the best old signs:

On our way out of town, photo by KMHD:

Ladies, anytime you wanna go to Memphis, call me! xx
(((((some SOUNDTRACKING)))))
2 comments:
So good. I love that you introduce me to new places in Memphis. Gotta try the Lamplighter Lounge. Also: where you do stay? I like the looks of that pool.
Sorry to hear about the postponement of the NZ trip, but it sounds like you two have some fun plans ahead of you. xo.
Nicole, it's with a heavy heart that we are letting other things cut in line in front of international travel. It's not that the other trips won't be awesome-- I get the privlege of visiting with the strong, cool women of my family and their amazing environs. It's o.k. This is what living within our means is all about.
I think you will like the Lamplighter!
Stay out of this cruel heat, lady!
Post a Comment